Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Video Production: Pot Tea Social House

This is a screenshot of a video production project that I have done. It's a commercial for a local Asian restaurant, called "Pot Tea Social House", in Las Vegas. The commercial is 30 seconds long with a voice over and music score underneath it and it shows various parts of the restaurant.

I had the opportunity to work on this production because I had a friend who had gotten in contact with the owners of the restaurant and asked them if he could interview them and make somewhat of a documentary out of it, which I later made into a 30 second commercial. They agreed and since my friend needed help with the whole thing he reached out to me and told me what he wanted to do and I said yes.

The problem with accepting to help on the production was that I was unprepared because I was asked to help on the day of the shoot. I didn't have the equipment we needed and we had to do with what we had. My friend took his Canon 6D and we were able to get our video with that. The interview with the owners was a little harder because of the audio.

I thought that we would be interviewing the owners separately but to save time we did them together. The problem was that I only had one lavalier mic to setup on one of the owners. So I decided to mic up one of the owners and hoped we could get decent audio from the second owner through the camera. 

Once I got into editing the piece together, there was about 2 hours of film to go through. I picked out the shots I wanted to use and used the audio from the interview as a voice over. The audio from the lav mic was decent enough to use but the audio from the camera was unusable so I had to scrap the entire interview of one of the owners because there was no way of restoring it so I decided to use just one of the owners audio. There was a quite a bit of editing to do since she would stutter or pause in between sentence but that was an easy fix. What was a little harder was getting rid of the noise of the restaurant. We did the interview in the dining area so there was a lot of noise. But after using some compression and gating I was able to bring down the noise while keeping the voice clear.


No comments:

Post a Comment