Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Sound Design: The Chase

This is a Pro Tools screenshot for another one of my sound design projects. The short film I'm using is called "The Chase", which I got special permission from the creator to use. The entire film is about 13 minutes long and the project took about 5 weeks to complete with 4 people working on it and was mix to 5.1 surround sound.

Since this was a group project, my teammates and I decided to split the film up into individual parts for each one of us; which was about 4 minutes for each of us. We each sound designed 4 minutes of the film and then brought it together to and worked together to fill in anything missing and make corrections where needed.

The part I mostly sound designed were the first 4 minutes of the film. I found this part to be fun because it included doing some field recording. There is a part where a car is drifting through the streets and because I had never recorded that, I had to go out and record it. I got with a friend and he drifted his car in a parking lot while I held a microphone and recording out the window to get the sound.
Other than this, I didn’t have to record much because not a lot happened in the beginning of the film. But once we brought all the pieces together, there was still a lot of work to be done. There is a major fight scene where there was lots of action happening and as a group we all had to throw ideas in to make it sound good and not empty.

Mixing the entire project was also a big task. Because the project was being mixed in 5.1 and we weren’t familiar with mixing in that way, it took a while before we were able to get something we liked down. But through trial and error, we were able to bring it together to get something we all appreciated.


Overall, the project took a while to be finished. It wasn’t easy and there were a lot of mistakes done. But I think that because we had so much input coming from all 4 of us in the team, we were able to bring it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment